Sunday, February 3, 2008

Happy Update!!

I know this is long and isn't stamping related, but I feel like it is a miracle that saved our dog's life, and wanted to share.

I posted a few months ago about how we were going to have to give up our beloved Sheltie. Jack was diagnosed last summer with a bad allergy to GRASS. I know....a dog allergic to grass. Plus trees, weeds, mold and wool. You can read the original story here. I was crying the whole time while typing.

So......the wonderful lady Linda from Secondhand Shelties basically saved his life. She wanted me to try these powders from a place called Nature's Farmacy West. (Yes, that's the way they spell it...).

She said that all of her rescue dogs go to their rescue homes on these two powders, plus the powders are given to the adoptive families. My husband really didn't want to give one more thing a try...we had been spending $120 every 6 weeks for allergy shots, plus $20 for steroids. I gave him an allergy shot every week and steroids every day. In addition, he was on antibiotics all the time for infection. He'd lick so much that he'd be raw. The worst part was that he was snipping at our 5 year old and was very nervous. This was not my Jack. ANYWAY, I said that I was going to give this one last thing a shot. I couldn't *not* try this and then have regrets and questions on "what if..." for the rest of my life.

Before I tell you exactly what these powders are...look at the before and after photos...

BEFORE.....look at his nose, around his eyes, his legs and paws. He also was raw under his armpits and had no fur there. Actually, this is not his *worst* photo. At the worst point, he had no fur on any of his legs or paws....

AFTER....much better, right?
We've still not run out of our first tubs and just ordered the second one of each. They are all natural, with no medicine.

The first is called Dogzymes Ultimate. We sprinkle one tsp. daily into his breakfast. The first ingredient is parmesan cheese, but otherwise, there's a bunch of stuff like vitamin A, vitamin E, niacin, riboflavin, and aminos. $12 for 1 lb. tub

The second is called Dogzymes Digestive Enhancer. This one has digestive bacteria, enzymes, natural amino acids and herbs. He has 2 small scoops of this a day, which is probably about a teaspoon as well. $18.95 for 1 lb. tub.

We noticed that he started growing his hair back after about 3 weeks and it has been COMPLETELY all grown back for a couple months. We were told there were probably spots he would never get hair again because of scarring, but he did get all hair back. According to Linda, this heals from the inside out.

We are also giving these powders to our new dog, Emmett. He's healthy, but the ingredients are all natural and Nature's Farmacy says we can give it to him as well. Additionally, my brother is giving it to his Great Dane to get rid of a urinary tract infection that will not go away and my sister-in-law is giving it to her German Shepherd in hopes that he will be able to be weaned off of his steroid.

And, here's the picture of our new dog, Emmett. I'm sure having a new friend to play with has had an impact as well. :)

11 comments:

Aimee said...

This sounds so wonderful.. I wonder if it would work on our German Shepard ... She has issues with her ears always... Glad to hear it helped your dog out.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you guys have really been through it... I'm glad you found something that works for you! Adorable dogs! Did you recently adopt Emmett? I could have sworn I saw that pic when browsing adoption sites a couple months ago in NC.

Carla said...

I'm so glad your dog is alright! That stuff sounds miraculous!

Kraftin' Kimmie said...

OH that is SO wonderful! Your poor little puppy looked just dreadful and now he looks right as rain!! What an amazing story!!! Thank you for sharing!

Lorraine said...

what wonderful news that your dog is healing on this all natural stuff. that parmesean cheese will cure anything! lol
both your dogs are adorable, but my dd wants to know a little bit more about Emmett. what kind of a dog is he?

Lesly said...

What an incredible story! Natural remedies are very underated in our society. Thank you for sharing!

Helen said...

How wonderful that you found something that works. And how wonderful of you not to give up on Jack.

Dana said...

Emmett is adorable!! I hope that both the dogs are feeling good -- it is so nice that they have each other!!

Melzie said...

That's fabulous!! :)

We miss our dog (long, sadder than anything story) and plan on another come spring (why get a new one when there is more snow on the ground than how tall my 9yr old is?!!)

Anyhow-- pets are great, and I'm so glad you found something to allow you to keep yours! Yay!!

Jean said...

Love my dogs and will remember this in case we ever have issues, thanks for sharing!

Nardi said...

TFS! I just found out my inlaws dog has a grass allergy adn they live on a farm so I have sent them a link to your blog so that they may be able to look into other options for their dog.